Thursday, September 9, 2010

Renaissance Day...

"Why can't you be in a good mood? How hard is it to decide to be in a good mood and be in a good mood once in a while?" – Lloyd Dobler


Yeah so this is my blog. My first time having one (does Myspace blogging count?). I don't know how long I'll upkeep this for but I figure...WTF right? I'm living in a new town and working in a new city. Me and my family uprooted our Chicago roots for central Florida. Things are different. I'm totally out of my comfort zone. A few weeks back I said, "Yes! It's not that difficult." to the aforementioned quote. But today I got kicked in the nuts, metaphorically speaking.


So I'm working in a new job and it's fine other then the fact there is no employee morale or anything for employees for that matter. Sometimes there is no toilet paper or paper towels. Yikes! Back to getting kicked in the nuts and why today is a Renaissance Day for me. Also, keep in mind a few things: A. I write poorly – I write like I talk, and 2. I think so many different things at once that all my thoughts are disjointed and strung together. Graduate school taught me nothing about writing (that's not true).


I'm at this new job for 6 weeks and my co-worker, the person that is showing me the ropes and all of that, just ups and quits! She left me alone in this pre-press/design hellhole!!! I don't blame her though. She was getting tons of flack from upper-management. Ugh. I just had this overwhelming feeling of sadness like I wish I was back home working at my old job and still teaching all my wonderful students.


Why is this a Renaissance Day for me?


I realize the situation sucks. I'm new to a job in a new city with no backup working for a dude that doesn't wholly appreciate his employees. It doesn't matter. I'm going to look at the brighter side of things. Go against my normal cynical and pessimistic nature. I'm going to choose to be in a good mood!!! 


I got my health (which isn't sparkling but I'm working on it). I got my wonderful wife who loves and supports me. I have an awesome son, Phoenix, who just turned two years old and always says he's scared of giraffes and lizards. I have my two amazing parents whom, without them, I just wouldn't have made it. And we are all living under one household until Sawanee and I can get enough scratch to get our own place, which is hopefully sooner rather then later. Also, we are close to tons of my cousins and Phoenix's cousins and other family.


Back to the job situation. Right now it sucks, sure. But it will get better. I'm already getting tons of work finished, yet I still have more to do today. I just don't want to be pissed or angry or sad or down any longer. I choose to be happy! I choose to be in a good mood! That's my Renaissance Day. From this day forward I'm gonna be better, happier.


"The rain on my car is a baptism, the new me, Ice Man, Power Lloyd, my assault on the world begins now." – Lloyd Dobler.


I'm going to be quoting movies a ton. That's one of my things. Movie quotes. For a lot of guys I'm sure. It's a guy thing. Actually, I'm going to quote a movie every time I post a blog. That'll be my thing (i'm sure some other dude is doing the same thing thinking he's original). And I'm pretty sure the film Say Anything can relate to almost anything in life.


I'll give a proper introduction another day. I just wanted to get that off of my chest. The whole work situation and me choosing to be in a good mood. Until next time, whenever that is...

No comments:

Post a Comment