My love of music and creating lists has made me want to create a list of my favorite songs of the last decade. The factors are obviously how much I enjoy the song as well as some kind of personal connection, story behind the song, concept, and of course replay value.
In no particular order...
1. Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
Funeral is probably one of my favorite albums of the last decade. Power Out is my favorite track on the LP. The song is so energetic and powerful, it completely engulfs you as you listen. Fantastic.
2. The Knife - Heartbeats
This is one of those infectious songs that I can listen to all the time, any time of the day or night. It has an amazing sound that combines pop, synth electronica and island steel-drums. The minimalist vocals deliver dense lyrics of a cryptic narrative.
3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
Fever to Tell is about 30 minutes of pure pissed off rock and roll but ends with Maps (almost ends, Maps being the second to last track). It really is a beautiful little song about love, wanting to be loved and relationships. The following is an acoustic version although the LP version is legendary as well.
4. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
The self-titled debut album of Franz Ferdinand is amazing from start to finish and has excellent replay value. But Take Me Out is an amazing track that starts off slow and poppy then gradually switches to an in your face rock song. One of my best friends got us tickets to see Franz Ferdinand at the Aragon Ballroom and it was one of the best shows I've seen.
5. Phoenix - 1901
This is newer song that got stuck in my head the first time I heard it. Phoenix has been around for half the decade but this track is the one that won't go away. It is power-pop rock at its finest.
6. Cannibal Ox - Iron Galaxy
Much like Company Flow's Funcrusher Plus, Cannibal Ox's The Cold Vein changed hip-hop for me.
7. Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks
8. MGMT - Time to Pretend
9. M.I.A. - Paper Planes (Diplo Remix)
10. El-P - Tasmanian Pain Coaster
11. Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
12. The Roots - The Seed
13. Radiohead - National Anthem
14. The Flaming Lips - Fight Test
The Flaming Lips are one of those band that I didn't find out about until She Don't Use Jelly in the early 90's. I really fell in love with their music when the Soft Bulletin came out. They cemented themselves as one of my favorite bands of all time with the concept album Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. My wife and I saw them live a few years ago for my birthday. It was at the Aragon Ballroom in Uptown. It was one of the most amazing live performances I've ever seen and Fight Test is one of those songs that just hits you.
15. TV on the Radio - Wolf Like Me
16. Broken Social Scene - Fire Eye'd Boy
17. The Island - Where There's a Will There's a Whalebone
18. Kanye West - The Good Life
19. Feist - 1234
20. Lily Allen - Smile
21. El-P - Poisenville Kids No Wins
22. Jay-Z - 99 Problems
23. The Strokes - Last Night
24. Modest Mouse - Float On
25. De La Soul - He Comes
26. Radio Dept. - Your Father
27. The Boy Least Likely To - Be Gentle With Me
28. The Avalanches - Since I Met You
29. Hot Chip - Keep Fallin'
30. Belle and Sebastian - For the Price of a Cup of Tea
31. The Futureheads - Hounds of Love
32. Dead Prez - Hip-Hop
33. Postal Service - Such Great Heights
34. Common - The Light
35. Styles of Beyond - Be Your Dog
36. Kid Cudi - The Prayer
37. Talib Kweli - Get By
38. Arcade Fire - Wake Up
39. The Roots - Atonement
40. Nas - Made You Look
41. Johnny Cash - Hurt
42. Flunk - Six Seven Times
43. Cat Power - The Greatest
44. The National - Fake Empire
45. Eminem - The Way I Am
46. Weezer - Beverly Hills
47. Interpol - Slow Hands
48. The Go! Team - The Power is On
49. Von Bondies - C'Mon C'Mon
50. Dizzee Rascal - I Luv U
...and there you have it. For some reason or another...my favorite songs of the last 10 years. I'm sure there are more but isn't 50 enough?
What are your favorite songs?